Monday, September 30, 2013

Classroom Store

Looking for an educational management tool?

In my classroom we have "classroom store" as a positive way to reinforce great behavior.  I call my classroom store "Monkey Business" because of the Jungle theme in my room.
















You will need:

Hanging shoe organizer, plastic cups, play money, prizes for store

Throughout the week the students receive "money" (play money) for helping friends, having their belongings ready to go each day, listening to directions the first time, completing work on time, etc.

For example, when a student takes their pencil out of their pouch and is ready to go in the morning they earn 5 cents. Every time a student completes their work for each subject, they earn 5 cents. When they absolutely impress me they can earn a quarter! I have a chart in the room that tells what everything is worth.

I use a hanging shoe organizer to hold the student's money. Inside there is a cup so that it's easy to take out all coins when it's time for store.

Every other week, the classroom store opens and I take out all the items the students can purchase. (I have seen people do this once a month which could be great for older students.)

In the classroom store there are 3 baskets. One that is labeled $1.00, one that is labeled $2.00, and the other is $3.00.

The larger the prizes, the more money the student must need to "buy" from store.

During this time, students are able to practice coin recognition, value of coins, and counting. I call students one by one to my desk and we count their money together. I ask them all about coins and values as we are counting.

The most amazing days in store are when a student tells me they don't want to buy anything that week because they want to save to buy something from the bigger bin the next time. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment