Monday, September 16, 2013

"Make a Move" Transition Cup

A smooth transition makes for a fast and fun way to move from one place to another in the classroom. Having fun transitions from our seats or to the rug eliminates the time for kids to start chatting or wandering.














My students and I decided to come up with a list of their favorite transitions that we already did each day. We came up with an AWESOME list and I even had some of my older students from previous years pitch in their fun ideas.

You will need:

popsicle sticks, sharpie, glitter, glue, cup to put popsicle sticks in

I wrote each transition onto a colored popsicle stick and added some glue & glitter to the end of each. The glitter side helps to show me which transitions we already did. Every time I pull out a popsicle stick, I turn it over so that the glitter side is facing the bottom of the cup. This ensures no constant repeats of the same transition!

Transition List:
Roller skate
Monster walk
Raise the roof
Swim in a pool
Hula dance
Gallop like a horse
Tap your head
Fly like a plane
Hop on one foot
Buzz like a foot
Slide your feet
Be an elephant
Act like a chicken
Pop like a popcorn
March
Wiggle like a worm
Stomp your feet
Do outer space walk
Do jumping jacks
Fly like a bird
Pump some iron
Walk like an Egyptian
Spaghetti arms
Disco Dance
Brush your teeth
Climb a ladder
Drive a car
Pat your knees
Dribble a basketball
Tip toe
Twist like a tornado
Fly like a butterfly
Surf on a surfboard
Move like a robot
Run in slow motion
Hop like a bunny
Jump like a frog
Movie star kisses
Alligator clap
Be a monkey
Skip
Waddle like a penguin
Act like a dinosaur
Fancy walk
Tap your shoulders
Clap your hands
Growl like a tiger
Be a cowboy/cowgirl

When we ran out of ideas, I went on Pinterest to see if anyone else had a list of transitions and I was able to find a few that I did not have yet from a pin named ACTION CUP. Spaghetti arms and galloping like a horse were great additions to our list from this helpful site!














Kids LOVE when they get to pick from the cup and it is a fun way to have some fun without losing lesson time!

No comments:

Post a Comment